- On October 17, 2018
The mid-term elections are days away, and it’s time for us to VOTE again! Among my family and friends, this is not an option. It’s a MUST for so many reasons. I’d like to name a few that are on my mind:
- An accused sexist, racist, misogynist, tax evader, and sexual predator as well as proven liar sits at the top of the U.S. government;
- The presumed murder of Jamal Khashoggi, a veteran Saudi Arabian journalist, Washington Post columnist and a permanent resident of the U.S., who Turkish officials assert was killed in Saudi Arabia’s Embassy in Istanbul, Turkey, and 45’s controversial defense of Saudi Arabia;
- More childish name calling by 45 and his disgraceful acolytes (horse face, dog, flake, Pocahontas);
- The U.S. deficit rose to $779 billion, up 17%, in fiscal year 2018 (source: CNN Business 10/16/18);
- Consecutive riot-inciting political rallies led by the commander-in-chief that proceed as scheduled even when a killer hurricane devastates major parts of our country;
- The continued detainment and separation of immigrant children from their parents at our U.S. border;
- Overt racism on full display in every segment of our country from — politicians — hate groups — neighbors — college students — etc.;
- An accused sexual assaulter cried and screamed his way onto the U.S. Supreme Court;
- Kanye West’s ridiculous behavior in The White House; and
- You can add your own.
All of these reasons and more for VOTING have slapped us in the face since 45 announced his presidential candidacy in 2015 and won the election in 2016. So, I have constantly asked myself what can I do and I have done what I could, including:
- Emailed and called members of Congress (mine and others) to express my views on issues;
- Donated money to various political campaigns in Washington and out of state;
- Joined American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU);
- Supported Planned Parenthood;
- Purchased as much Nike stuff as possible following the Nike advertisement featuring Colin Kaepernick;
- Marched in the Women’s March in 2017 and 2018
- Participated in intelligent conversations about the state of our union with as many people as possible;
- And shared my thoughts in this blog.
Now, I am ready to VOTE again, www.iwillvote.com, and I hope you are too. PLEASE!